Injera, traditional Ethopian bread
Injera is a very thin flat bread, similar to a crêpe, that is the main food in Ethiopia. It´s made with fermented teff flour, which is a local typical cereal and has been consumed for thousands of years. It has a very characteristic and special sour taste. It´s used as an acompaniment to sauces, lentil puree or hummus, in a similar way to a chapati or pita bread. In Ethiopia it´s prepared on clay plates placed on fire, but at home you can prepare it with an iron or a large frying pan.
The ingredients are,
- 180 grams of teff flour
- a cup of water
- salt to taste
- vegetable oil for the frying pan
- Mix the teff flour with water and let the mixture to stand in a bowl covered with a cloth at room temperature until it´s filled with bubbles and has become sour. This process can take up to three days, but sometimes you can try to prepare injera after a single fermentation night. The mixture should be a little thicker than the usual one for crêpes.
- Add a little salt and stir the mixture. Put a little bit of oil in a frying pan and warm it over medium heat.
- Elaboration process is similar to the one for crêpes, although injera should be a little thicker than a crêpe.
- Bake it for a few moments until the typical holes of this bread are formed and the dough edges can be lifted. It shouldn´t be left until it´s toasted nor to turn it on the other side, since injera is cooked only by one side. In any case, you can cover the pan for a few moments so that it´s cooked better from above.
- After removing it from the pan, let it cool.
The traditional way to serve them is by placing injeras on a tray and the chosen dishes on it (salad, hummus, lentil puree, gravy, etc.). You can also serve extra injeras in a basket.
For further information, we add a link that contains a video explaining the tradicional way to prepare injera, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ncj_MEKckIw&gl=GB&feature=related&hl=en-GB
This link explains all the properties and benefits of this cereal, http://www.herboecolife.com/en/teff-2
Chickpea and Vegetable Burgers
Ingredients for these chickpea and vegetable burgers.
- 2 glasses of chickpea flour
- 2 carrots
- 2 zucchini
- 1 onion
- 3 tablespoons of ground flax
- 2 tablespoons of chopped parsley
- ½ teaspoon of cumin
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Preheat oven to 175 ° C
- Chopped in a food processor or grate carrots, zucchini and onion.
- Add to this mix the chickpea flour, ground flax and spices.
- With lightly oil soaked hands, take the mixture and form burgers. Place them on a tray lined with baking paper.
- Bake for about 12 to 15 minutes per side.
They can be served as a main dish with a green salad or as an appetizer.
Pea Cream with Seitan
This recipe of pea cream with seitan is perfect for cold days.
- 1 ½ cup of peas
- 1 ½ cup of chopped seitan
- 4 cm of Kombu seaweed
- 1 finely chopped onion
- 2 chopped carrots
- Olive oil
- Black pepper and salt
- 4-5 glasses of boiled water
- Soak peas in a bowl with four cups of water overnight (about 12 hours).
- In a pot fry the onion for a couple of minutes. Add the Kombu seaweed previously softened in a little water and carrots. Drain the peas and put them in the pot with boiling water for one hour over low heat with the pot covered. Stir occasionally.
- After, pass everything through the food mill. Pour the puree back into the pot, add the seitan, salt and pepper and let it cook for 10 minutes, stirring everything all the time.
- The pea cream is served with croutons.
Soy Meatballs with Tomato Sauce
To prepare soy meatballs with tomato sauce you need to prepare the soy meatballs and the tomato sauce separately.
Ingredients for soy meatballs.
- 2 glasses of fine textured soy submerged in a quart of boiling water for 5 minutes and well drained after
- 1 liter of boiled water
- 2 eggs. For vegans it can be substituted for 2 tablespoons of tahini
- 2 stalks of parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon of cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon of turmeric
- ½ teaspoon of paprika
- 2-3 heaping tablespoons of breadcrumbs
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil (for frying a little the meatballs)
Ingredients for the tomato sauce.
- 2 tablespoons of olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 4 ripe tomatoes cut in pieces
- 3-4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 1 carrot, cut into cubes
- 1 cup of peas
- 4-5 mushrooms cut in slices
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ cup of water
- salt and pepper
Preparing the soy meatballs.
- Dip the soy in boiling water until the water cool slightly. Filter and drain the soy to remove any excess of liquid and chop it finely.
- Add the eggs and spices, and mix everything. Leave the mix in the fridge three minutes to take all the flavors and meanwhile prepare the sauce.
Preparing the tomato sauce.
- Fry the onion in a pan. When it is transparent, add the tomatoes, garlic, celery and carrots. Cook them for 10-15 minutes on medium heat.
- When the vegetables are al dente, blend the sauce.
- In a pan saute the mushrooms until they become golden and add the sauce with peas, bay leaves, half a glass of water, salt and pepper over high heat until everything boil. Then reduce to a low heat.
- Back with the meatballs, form balls with the size of a golf ball from the mixture. In a pan fry some meatballs until they become golden and add the meatballs to the sauce. Then cook everything for 25 minutes over low heat.
And now it is just perfect to serve with rice or only bread. Enjoy these soy meatballs with tomato sauce.
This autumn juice is excelent for colds and flu and to strengthen the inmmune system.
- 4 cups of spinach leaves.
- 1 head of cabbage.
- 2 oranges.
- 1 cucumber.
- Clean all the vegetables.
- Put all the ingredients together in a blender and add half cup of water.
- Move all the ingredients until the mix gets thick.
- Pour the mix in a glass through a strainer.
Each family prepares tahini their way. To say exact quantities is very difficult. Some people like tahini as pate and other, more liquid.
I recommend you that every time that you prepare this recipe to change a little bit the way of preparation. Add a little more water. Change the quantity of parsley or lemon until you find tahini that suits the most to your personal taste.
- 1/2 cup of tahini
- 1/2 cup of cold water
- one lemon juice
- two finely chopped cloves of garlic
- a handful of chopped parsley
- half teaspoon of salt
- a pinch of black pepper and paprika
My favorite way to prepare tahini is to mix all the ingredients and serve it after.
Tahini is perfect to spread on bread or to serve as a sauce for meat or salad.
Ingredients for soaking and cooking the chickpeas for hummus.
- 1/2 kg. (from 2 to 2 1/2 cups) chickpeas. It is very important to use small and fresh chickpeas.
- 2 tablespoons of salt
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 3-5 cloves of garlic
- 1 small onion
If you have little time, you can use a can of cooked chickpeas. You only need to remove their skin. They haven´t the same flavor, but you can also get a good hummus.
Ingredients to prepare hummus.
- 300 gr. (1 1/4 cup) tahin
- 1 1/2 cup of the cooking water (or mineral water for the cooked chickpeas)
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- freshly squeezed juice from 2 small lemons or one large lemon
- 1 teaspoon of cumin
Ingredients for the presentation of the dish.
- paprika and cumin
- extra virgin olive oil
- Spread the chickpeas on a tray and remove any impurities or those chickpeas that don´t look good (broken, crumpled or a strange colour). This process is very important to prepare a tasty hummus.
- Rinse the chickpeas until the water is completely clear and transparent.
- Put 2 tablespoons of salt in a bowl. Fill with water and add the chickpeas. Soak overnight or for at least 8 hours. During the summer, after 2 or 3 hours it´s necessary to put the container in the refrigerator. It is important to replace the water every few hours or at least once or twice during the soaking. After each water change it is necessary to put salt in the bottom of the bowl.
- After the soaking, rinse the chickpeas.
- Put the chickpeas in a pot. Add enough water until a height of about 5-7 cms. above the chickpeas.
- Add the baking soda, onion and garlic. At this point you can add more vegetables if you wish, such as parsley. In any case, do not add any more salt.
- Put the water to the boiling point. Reduce the heat and simmer over low heat for 45 minutes. Cooking time may vary depending on the type and quality of the chickpeas. Occasionally it is necessary to remove the foam that appears on the surface of the water and the skins floating. Then mix the chickpeas. Chickpeas are ready when you can easily crush them with your fingers. They should be soft but firm. if while cooking you notice that skins are not getting separated from the chickpeas, after half and hour of cooking, remove the chickpeas with a skimmer, rinse them, rub them with your hands and put them back in the pot to continue cooking. The skins should easily break and float now.
- After the cooking time, remove the vegetables from the pot. Keep the garlic to use it later. Cover the pot and place it in the refrigerator until it is completely cold.
- Drain the chickpeas and keep the cooking broth to use it later also.
- Put the chickpeas in a food processor or a blender with the garlic and a cup of the cooking broth. Mix for 2-3 minutes until you get a smooth paste. It is important that the chickpeas are not getting hot during the grinding. Therefore, if you can control the speed of the food processor or the blender, you must do it at low speed. Another option is to stop from time to time and to give hummus a little rest.
- Add tahini and turn the food processor or the blender on for another 2 minutes at low speed. Then add the lemon juice, cumin and salt gradually. If necessary, add a little more cooking broth at this stage.
- It is better to eat hummus a few hours after its preparation. Note that hummus will thicken after a while and it must be prepared less dense than what you prefer after to eat. If you prefer it lighter, add more cooking broth.
- Serve hummus with extra virgin olive oil, chopped parsley, cumin and prapika.
Ingredients for homemade granola.
- 400 gr. whole oats (not instant)
- a cup of chopped nuts
- a cup of chopped or whole almonds according to taste
- 3/4 cup of sunflower seeds
- 3/4 cup of pumpkin seeds
- 1/2 cup of linen or sesame seeds
- a pinch of salt
- 100 ml. sunflower oil
- 1/2 cup of honey or agave syrup
- a cup of raisins or cranberries
- Mix oats with the almonds and the sunflower, pumpkin and linen seeds, and add a pinch of salt.
- Heat oil slightly in a small pan. Add honey or agave syrup and simmer for 3-4 minutes while stirring.
- Pour the oil mixture over the oat and seeds mixture, and mix everything well.
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
- Pour the mixture onto a baking paper coated mold and leave it in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Stir the mixture thoroughly with a wooden spoon and put it back into the oven for another 10 minutes. Then, remove it from the oven and let it cool.
- When the granola cools completely (never before), crumble the mix with your hands. Add raisins or blueberries, mix everything and keep it in a jar or a tight taper.
Three Red Vegetable Juice
This three red vegetable juice is very good for strengthening the immune system and improve the skin tone.
- 1 medium, washed and cut into squares beet.
- 5 large, washed and peeled carrots.
- 1 medium, washed, peeled and cut into squares sweet potatoe.
- Place the beet in a blender and add gradually the other ingredients.
- Stir everything until the mixture thickens.
- Pour into a glass through a strainer.
Chard, Apple and Banana Smoothie
Ingredients of chard, apple and banana smoothie.
- 50 gr. of chards
- 2 green apples
- 1 banana
- Wash and chop the chards and the apples and put them in the blender. Mix the apple and chard juice with the banana and mash everything together.
- Serve cold the smoothie and garnish with salt, pepper or sugar if desired.
Advise. When preparing smoothies, it is recommended to vary the leafy green vegetables for a better range of nutrients.