Collagen is a protein that forms part of all the muscles and bones in the human body. It is estimated that a quarter of the proteins present in the body is collagen. The main mission of this substance is to form fibers, from which the main structures of the body are created. It’s like the glue that holds together the different structures and gives them a strong and resistant form.
Its presence is not the same throughout life. While in newborns it is very abundant, in adults its presence is slowly reduced from 25 years onwards.
In the skin it is an essential component and it represents 70% of its total weight. In cartilage, the percentage is over 65%, while in the muscles is also a major component.
Collagen has the following functions and properties:
- Bones: Collagen is mixed with calcium crystals and bones gain in strength and toughness.
- Cartilages: Cartilages are a resistant soft tissue that exists in the joints. In these body parts collagen creates a high molecular structure capable of absorbing shocks with a high intensity. To configure these formations, it is mixed with substances called chondroitin and glucosamine that are present in cartilages in the human body.
- Tendons and ligaments: Collagen is also associated with protein called chondroitin to create structures that are resistant and elastic at the same time.
- Skin: Here collagen bears a special relationship with two important substances in the body, such as elastin and keratin. The union of these elements makes the skin strong, durable and elastic.
- Eye: Collagen is distributed in a very fine form in the cornea, a transparent membrane of this sense that allows passage of light.
Therefore, collagen provides the following benefits,
- Reduce pain, inflammation, swelling and stiffness of rheumatoid arthritis, osteoarthritis, juvenile arthritis and gout
- Involved in the repair of cartilage tissue
- Strengthens bones, joints and nails
- Improves skin firmness and helps heal wounds
- Strengthens hair
- Promotes the body recovery after exercise
- Helps you lose weight